Every time I instagram a photo of an acai bowl, at least two people ask where it is from or how I made it. When I started making my own at home, I had a little trouble concocting the perfect consistency. I would end up with more of an acai smoothie than an acai bowl.
1. Put 2 Sambazon (or Acai Roots) frozen acai packets in a blender (for a smoothie, just one will do. Since you want the bowl thicker, you want more of the frozen acai and less of the apple juice/soy milk.)
2. add JUST enough apple juice or soy milk to get the blender going, NO MORE or you will end up with a more liquidy, smoothie-like, consistency–it may take longer to blend and completely break up all the acai but a trick I use is break up the acai inside the packet into pieces before opening it
3. add half a teaspoon of honey to sweeten it up
4. if you would like, add a tablespoon of almond butter (I like the gritty texture and taste that the almond butter gives)
5. blend all ingredients and put into a bowl (if you can easily pour out the mixture, you have probably added too much liquid…it should be a little difficult to get out of the blender and may need to use a spoon)
6. cut up 1/2 – 1 whole banana into thin (but not flimsy) pieces
7. cut up about 6 strawberries
8. throw the bananas and strawberries on top of the acai in a bowl
9. add a few spoonfuls of blueberries
10. top it off with some granola, and shaved coconut…if you would like a sweeter acai bowl, drizzle a bit more honey ontop of everything and Voilà, here you have the perfect acai bowl!